Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cozy food.

So I highly dislike being cold. I know.... I grew up in Wisconsin and I should be used to it. I'm not. This morning I looked outside and it was snowing. I know snow is pretty but it also means that it's cold. Yesterday it was in the high 50s, and I was hoping today would be the same, but when I saw the snow outside I knew it wouldn't be :(. I'm the kind of girl who would rather it be 99 degrees every day then it ever get below 50. I know I'm weird. The one good thing about the snow today was that Brian and I could use it as an illustration when we taught the 6th graders from Psalm 51 where David is confessing his sin and being made whiter than snow. I guess some good can come from snow after all.


There are a few things I like about winter... hot cocoa, CHRISTMAS!!, sweaters, boots (i'm in love with boots), fireplaces, fleece blankets, cute scarves, and of course soups or chili. A warm bowl of chili makes me feel so cozy and warm on a cold wintery day. The only problem, Brian pretty much hates chili, so I don't end up making it very often.... but my book club girls came over for dinner on Friday so I took that as the perfect opportunity to make some cozy chili. I tried a new recipe, and it ended up being pretty yummy. I tweaked the recipe I found online a little bit to my liking. Here it is... Enjoy!

White Chicken Chili
3 cooked chicken breasts (or you could use a rotisserie chicken) cut into small bit size pieces
1 large white onion diced
2 cloves of garlic (I just used garlic salt)
2 - 15 oz cans of Northern White beans (drained)
1 - 15 oz can of Pinto Beans (drained)
1 - 4 oz can diced green chiles (drained)
2 cans of chicken broth
1- 4 oz can of jalapenos (drained)
2 - 15 oz can of white corn (drained)
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of Oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
Shredded cheese

Mix together all the ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. I mixed about a cup of shredded cheese into the chili before I served it. When I served it, I topped it with shredded monterey jack cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream. It would also be really yummy with guacamole.

I made a salad and rolls to go along with the chili for my dinner on Friday.... and it got devoured (Samantha:). It was super simple:
1 bag of spinach
1 bag of craisins
1 small container of feta
about a cup of walnuts
1/2 of a red onion
Dressing of choice (I used the Olive Garden Italian dressing, but it would also be really good with balsamic vinaigrette or just olive oil and vinegar)

Winter is for cozy foods.

2 comments:

  1. that is a very "christine" kind of chilly...with chicken and all those beans:)

    ReplyDelete