Wednesday, February 9, 2011

GO PACK GO!

I love the Packers. I have since I was left my mama's womb :). I was surprised when I left Wisconsin to find that people all over the country even the world also love my Packers. From my experience in other states, people do not feel the need to be as loyal to their football team as a Wisconsinite does to the Packers. It's part of our heritage. It's part of who we are. I am so happy for the Green Bay Packers, for all the fans all over the world, and for Wisconsin :).


I really wish I could have been home with my family to watch the game. My mom told me she expected me to come for it. I wish it was that easy. Since I wasn't able to watch it in Wisconsin, I made the most of it by bring a little Wisconsin to Tennessee. We were able to watch the game with a bunch of friends, and thankfully they were all cheering for the green and gold. I don't know if they were quite as excited about the outcome as I was (let's just say I'm the only one who shed tears), but it was really fun and it made not being with my family for the game not so bad:).

Here's what I brought to the game: Cheese curds, cupcakes with green frosting, and brats and sauerkraut. YUMMMMMM.















What are cheese curds you ask?? Cheese curds - "fresh Cheddar cheese in its natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. Curds have a mild taste with a slightly rubbery texture and should squeak when eaten". Eatcurds.com can you give you more info about the this wonderful food :). I was so surprised to find them in Spring Hill! And they still squeaked when you ate them, which is a sign that they are still fresh :). There is also a definition on this website for a curdaholic :). Curdaholic - "individuals so crazy about Wisconsin Cheese Curds that they will do anything to get their hands on them. Often prone to curd withdrawals." Hilarious... and true :).
Brats are another loved Wisconsin food. While I was cooking them Sunday afternoon, my house smelled like Wisconsin :). It was wonderful. I found Wisconsin beer brats at Publix, and even though they weren't as good as the ones you find in my homeland, they were pretty good. Disclaimer - I don't actually like brats... but I did try one and I wanted everyone else to experience a little bit of Wisconsin. I made them in the crock pot. Here is the recipe if you are interested in making brats as well.

1 package of brats
1 can of beer
1 can of sauerkraut
Some garlic and salt

Put it all in the crockpot and cook on high for 2-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. I drained the liquid before serving. Put brat in a bun (I used steak rolls since they are bigger and they don't sell brat buns here). Top with sauerkraut. They are also good with a little bit of spicy mustard. Then bite into some Wisconsin goodness. I wish I took pics of our party and more of the brats, but I forgot :(. Sorry!

Go pack go.

No comments:

Post a Comment