Friday, February 4, 2011

Crafts can be dangerous.

As many of you know, 2 weeks ago, I stapled my finger. Yep, I'm that awesome. I have been asked "how in the world did you do that?" a million times. So here is the story, and the craft I was making that cost me a hospital stay and surgery.

I had just worked out for the first time in centuries and I came home from this super motivated. I decided to try to work on one of the projects I had been thinking about doing for a while now. I bought this old frame from the antique store in Spring Hill for $12, and I wanted to staple some burlap to the back of it. So I was thinking that it would only take a few minutes and then I would jump in the shower and get ready for the day..... that's not how it went. I took the power stapler and placed it on the wood and I put my left hand under part of it, and then I pressed down really hard on the stapler (to make sure it went into the wood). Well, I accidentally (obviously) had the stapler turned around, and so when I pressed down on the stapler with all my strength it went into my hand that was underneath it instead of the wood.... into my left ring finger to be exact. I didn't feel it at first. I looked at the wood and saw that there was not a staple in it. I felt a weird sensation in my finger and I was afraid to look, but I had to. Sure enough, there was the staple, stuck in my finger. I tried to move it. It wouldn't move. Brian wasn't home. I called him. He said he would be home in 10 minutes and he would pull it out when he got home. I couldn't wait that long! By this point it was starting to hurt... A LOT. I walked to the neighbors house, and thank the Lord they were home! I have met them a couple of times, but I am not sure they knew who I was at first. I introduced myself and then showed them my finger :/. The husband told me to get in his car, and he drove me to some clinic in Spring Hill. Brian met me there. They sent me directly to the ER. So Brian drove me to the ER, where we waited for almost 2 hours with a staple in my finger. It was not fun, and the pain was increasing and my finger was turning weird colors (sorry if this is grossing you out). I had xrays taken of my finger, and then the Orthopedic surgeon came in my room.... I knew that meant nothing good. He informed me that I was going to have to have surgery that night AND spend the night in the hospital to get IV antibiotics! What in the world..... who knew a staple injury could be so complicated?? The surgeon said that I stapled my finger in the most perfect way. I put the staple right smack dab in the middle of the joint. Good to know I have so much skill with a staple gun. I'm fine now, the stitches are out, and I'm working on getting movement back in my finger. I would like to say I'm thankful it wasn't worse than it was, but I'm not quite sure if it could have been any worse at this point :).

At least it's a good story and I'm sure I'll be telling it for years to come. Thanks for all the prayers and support during this whole ordeal. Thankful for all of you, and yes I will continue doing crafts. Here is the project I was working on when the injury occurred and the finished project. I had to conquer my fear, so I finished the project with the staple gun, and this time the staples went into the correct place.

Here is the infamous craft:

I needed a clock in our living room, but I am not crazy about the look of really large clocks, so I bought this small one and framed it so it didn't get lost on the wall. I'm happy with how it turned out, I just wish the process could have been a little less painful :).

Tip  Junkie handmade projects


  1. Wow! That sounds and looks really painful! Glad it's feeling better, though.
    The finished project looks AWESOME! What a great idea!
    Carmen from

  2. OMG!!! You're right, that IS the most epic craft fail ever! I'm so glad you're okay now, that is really horrible. Good for you for finishing the frame - I'm not sure I could have been that brave!

  3. oh my gosh! I would have passed out flat on my face! So glad your're ok - and your clock looks awesome!

    Christy :)

  4. Thats excatly wat i did today. Omggg i nailed mine on my ring finger at the lower joint on left hand. I freaked the freak out. I pulled it out after panicking. Then grabbed my craft rag incase it was going to gush. It didnt. But my finger cant bend. It hurts, i. Calling my doctor in morning. Funny thing is i had the staple gun backwards too. It hit rightin the bone joint area. Now swellin upto my knuckle. I pray i dont get shots. Only antibiotics and it didnt fracture or damage my bone.