Wednesday, July 20, 2011

master bedroom redo

The week we moved in we painted most of the downstairs thanks to the help from a few friends and because we were trying to paint before the movers arrived with all of our furniture. We decided to hold off on the master bedroom. A year later it is finally done (almost). Here is what it looked like before we moved in.... this picture does not give the ugliness justice.

The paint color seriously looked like poop. This was also the color of our kitchen (who wants their kitchen to look like poop?!). The kitchen is now wedgewood gray (which is actually more like a cheerful blue), and our bedroom also finally got a few coats (not coates:) of paint. I usually enjoy painting, but I was a little bit intimidated by our bedroom. It has tray ceilings, and there were a few cracks in the ceiling and dry wall nails that had popped through, so we decided to hire a professional to do the work for us. Carl Wayne Meekins came to the rescue. He goes to our church and stays busy playing the guitar and singing and to my surprise, painting! We were happy to hire someone we knew and trusted to get the job done, and Carl Wayne did an amazing job. The cracks are all gone, and you would have never known they were there. The paint colors we chose were Comfort Gray on the walls and tray, and Rice Grain on the ceiling. They are both Sherwin Williams colors. I usually stick with Benjamin Moore and the Restoration Hardware colors, but I found out about these colors on one the blogs I read, Nesting Place, and so I decided to try them out. At first, I thought it was a little too blue and not enough gray for my taste, but once the room was decorated, I was really really happy with the color! Here are some pictures with details of where I bought some of the items for our bedroom. We were able to do the whole thing pretty cheap with some DIY projects and cheap buys from my favorite, Ikea.

Here is what it looks like now:

After the room was painted Comfort gray, I recovered my previously blue diy headboard with some gray chevron fabric I ordered from Tonic Living.  I had wanted the chevron pattern to be horizontal but it wasn't wide enough to cover the whole headboard that way. Oh well... I still love the fabric!! Here is the blog post with how I originally made the headboard.
Another addition were the curtains. I found the white curtains at IKEA for $20 and the rods there for $1.99 a rod!! I love IKEA. The pillow with yellow flowers is from Target. I saw it on Young House Love a long time ago, and I have been wanting to buy it ever since. I was waiting for it to go on sale, but it never did :( so I used a gift card so it didn't seem as bad. It was only $25, but to me it still seemed like a lot to spend on a pillow that's only purpose is to look cute :).

I also made a little reading corner in our room with a chair I bought at IKEA for only $49... And it's actually comfortable. The side table was $7 at IKEA and the magazine rack was $9. 
 

The circles on the wall are quilting circles that were only $1 a piece at Hobby Lobby. I just put the extra fabric in them I had left from my headboard and some other fabric I already had and hung them on the wall. So cheap and easy!! I am going to add a lamp to this corner and maybe even a foot rest if I can find one for a good price. I also made the flower on the pillow with a little (a lot) of hot glue and glued it right on the pillow. Here is a tutorial on making fabric flowers. 
I also made a little arrangement with the quilting circles, a "C" I had from our wedding decor, and a cheap mirror I bought awhile back at the Spring Hill antique mall for less than $10. 
I need to re-paint my dresser and buy some candles for the thing sitting on top of my dresser, and then that part of the room will be finished.

I bought some black frames from IKEA for $7 a piece and put yellow scrapbook paper in them that I already had. I also got the cute white frame from Ikea for a whopping 99 cents and I found the metal tins at Kroger on clearance. I can't remember how much... I just know they were cheap. The candle is from Anthro... a gift from my good friend Kristen. It smells amazing.
  

We still have a few things to do. I need something for above our bed. I was going to put the sunburst mirror I recently made there, but it was way too big, so I'm trying to find something else. I have a few ideas for the wall across from our bed that I need to work on. We also have to pick a paint color for the bathroom. I think I am going to go with a gray that actually looks gray and not blue :). As you can see from the below picture, we have started putting samples on the wall, I just haven't decided which color to go with quite yet. 

 

I am so happy to not have to look at those dirty brown walls any longer and have a more calm and light bedroom to come home too. Let me know if you know of any paint colors that would look good in the bathroom. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment